Noise problems cause many complaints in blocks of flats. DIY, building activity, late night music, laminated floors and barking dogs are the main culprits.
Surprisingly, your landlord or managing agent have very limited powers to take action and it's unlikely that a court will evict a leaseholder for being noisy.
Dealing with noise:
Government advice recommends using a stepped approach for dealing with noise problems:
- Keep records of the noise
- Start building a relationship with your neighbour causing the problem
- Try to have a quiet word with them about the problem
- Have a stronger word and explain the impact their noise is having on you (and your family)
- If things don't improve, consider going to a mediation service